The majority of first-time beginner landscape enthusiasts believe that this activity can be quite heavy on the pocketbook. In reality, it isn’t, and here’s why: you can do so much with cheap plants, stones, clay pots, etc.
Landscaping only becomes expensive if you hire people to do stuff for you – that’s an inevitable fact. But if you are willing to do the work yourself, because you want to learn and have fun with your own yard, use these cheap landscaping ideas to make your backyard sensational.
Here are your cheap landscaping ideas that will be easy on the pocketbook, yet heavy on beauty!
1. Do you have a large, empty yard that is mostly nondescript because most of it hasn’t been landscaped yet? Why not turn sections of your yard into outdoor rooms?
An outdoor room works just like an indoor room – it has a ceiling, walls, and a floor. The big difference is that you don’t have to use concrete, insulation, and wooden planks to complete the parts of an outdoor room.
You can use a large bed of clover as your flooring. A large umbrella can be used to ward off the sun and, for the walls, you’re free to choose what kind of hedge suits your taste. It’s up to you what the outdoor rooms will be for – you are in charge, and that’s one of the biggest perks of designing the landscape yourself.
2. If you love cooking and the idea of home landscaping, now is a good time to start creating your very own vegetable and herb garden. Vegetable gardens can be extremely beautiful if you plant the right mix of veggies.
Vegetables are colorful and, when a vegetable garden is in full bloom, everyone is eager to explore it. Herb gardens are usually smaller, but they are no less attractive. A well-designed herb garden can accent and complement nearby gardens because of the varied leaf textures of commonly used herbs.
3. Install an inexpensive outdoor fountain to create a central point of interest in your yard. Outdoor fountains come in all shapes and sizes. Of course, the most sought-after design is two-tiered clay jar fountain, where a single clay jar pours water into a wide clay basin or another jar.
Other interesting designs include stone blocks, mermaids, wide basins, and cherubs striking a pose. Whatever your choice, you can be assured that you won’t be spending thousands of dollars just to install a fountain on your property.
4. Do you have a lot of pets at home? If you do, you may want to create a pet-friendly space in your yard where your pets can play safely. Take note that some pets need to be screened off, as they may escape. For example, if you have several fluffy rabbits at home, you can create a small enclosure in your yard where your bunnies can romp about without running the risk of attracting dogs and cats.
5. If you have a swimming pool at home, you can create a stunning poolscape by planting small palm trees, bushes, and other vegetation near the pool.